Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Phillies vs Mets Friday

Mets: 7
Phillies: 4

In my first major league baseball outing since June of last year, I have to admit, I was disappointed. I have attended many baseball games since I was younger. I have seen the Phillies at least five times, the Yankees once, the Red Sox twice, the Baltimore Orioles once, and all the teams that have visited them including the Blue Jays, the A's, and the Rockies. I saw Nomar Garciaparra's first in-the-park-homerun. I saw Chase Utley hit a walk off homerun in the bottom of the 12th in his rookie year. I saw Mo Vaughn get booed. I've witnessed, in person, the no way Jose cheer for Jose Canseco. I have experienced the obstructed view in Camden Yards in left field. I have seen Cal Ripken Jr. take the field. I have seen a lot of baseball games. But I have never seen a rivalry game. That is, until last night.

Last night was the first Phillies vs Mets game of the season. Going to a Phillies game is always normally very exciting. The crowd is fun, the weather always seems to be perfect, and the mascot seems to get everyone excited. I didn't expect anything less when I got in my car to drive to Citizens Bank Park to see the World Champions take on their arch rival. What I got was a disappointing loss: 7-4.

I have to admit, part of the reason that I was so excited to go to this game was to see the Phillies fans mutter terrible things at Mets fans. Last year, when I attended a game the man sitting next to me asked if I had ever been to a Phillies vs Mets game. When I responded, "No." He was taken aback. "You must go, they are the most fun!"

So that is when I put it on my to-do list.

However, the tone of the game was set by the Mets from the first inning, when they took the lead with 2 runs right off the bat. Then, they just kept adding runs. The Phillies almost seemed to be making a comeback with a three run inning and an Utley homerun later on, but couldn't make up their lost ground.

Things looked really good for the Phillies at one point, but a baserunning error with the bases loaded and a pick-off of Jimmy Rollins when he was on first base ended any hopes of the Phillies coming back.

At least there was some oomph in the stands, as the Philly mascot shot free hot dogs into the stands through a hot dog canon. However, whoever engineered the hot dog canon, didn't engineer well enough, as several of the hot dogs burst into pieces as they were released from the canon showering fans with bits and pieces of pig meat. 

In another instance, fans a section over from me were surrounded by security guards, ushers, and a few policemen. It took a while to figure out who they were motioning to, to leave the stands. When they finally got the man that they wanted, one of the ushers walked to his seat. The usher began picking up cans of beer--obviously not bought in the stadium. By the time the usher was done picking up the cans, she could be seen holding twelve empty ones. The man began to argue pointing at his shorts that there was no way that he brought those in--he had just two pockets and no bag. Immediately, the Phillies fans in the area began pointing at the Mets fan sitting in front of him. Clearly he hadn't brought the cans in, but it was fun to boo him anyway.

A grade for my first rivalry baseball game?

Phillies: D+ -- They gave us a little excitement, but their two base running errors were things that they should have learned in T-Ball.
Mets: B -- They got the win, but they didn't give any excitement. They got started in the first inning, added a few runs along the way, but didn't have anything bigger than a double.
Fans: B -   -- They were fun, but not as fun as usual. The Mets really sunk the fans early I think.

Overall: C+  /  B-

No comments:

Post a Comment