Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Familiar Face Dominating the Courts

Growing up, I played a lot of sports. I played baseball, softball, basketball, roller hockey, miniature golf, field hockey, soccer, and tennis. I was really only ever good at three of the sports mentioned. However, my brother was really big into tennis. But he wasn't the only one in Bethlehem that loved tennis. A family of sisters dominated the tennis world in my hometown, when I was in elementary school. One of my friends was one of these sisters.

Her name is Amanda Granson.

As we started to grow up, Amanda moved south, because there was a school much better suited for her and her tennis talents than that of the schools up in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Her sisters had made it into division 1 colleges, and Amanda had the same aspirations. She wanted to go all the way.

When I was in high school, I remember hearing someone say that Amanda had worked her way into the top 10 women's tennis players in the nation. I was astounded. Being the top 10 in anything is simply wonderful, but at a sport that takes such skill and dedication: that's beyond impressive.

As senior year rolled around, I learned that Amanda had chosen to go to Duke for her college career. I don't think she could have made a better decision. It was now close to her home, the college was already in the family, and the school itself is masterful in almost every way.

We are now going to be seniors in college, and Amanda is still dominating the tennis world.

This past week, the NCAA finals for tennis aired on ESPN. None-other-than Amanda herself was playing in the NCAA finals--on the winning team.

ESPN2 has been showing replays, and people have been blowing up Amanda's Facebook wall with "Congratulations."

So with this NCAA final behind her, Amanda can now focus on her senior year--but this will not be the last of her on ESPN--that's for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment