Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy days for Boston

The playoffs are in full swing in both the NHL and the NBA, and both have been mutually exciting in New England. Fans are walking around the beach in their Bruins and Celtics getup. The hats are out, the jerseys are rocking, and the greens (Celtics) and yellows and blacks (Bruins) are taking over South County in Rhode Island. I can only imagine the hype in Boston during this playoff season.

Last night I sat down to watch the Bruins game, and I realized that if I liked basketball as much as I enjoy watching ice hockey, and I was a Celtics fan, I would have had to make a terrible decision last night. I would have had to choose between one or the other. And if I was a Boston Red Sox fan...well then the world would have ended, because I would have had to have chosen between three games. This is why man created TIVO. 

The good news is I am not a dedicated Red Sox fan, and I don't like watching basketball as much as I enjoy watching ice hockey. No TIVO for me. Just the Bruins, me, and my housemate's boyfriend last night. I think that his jolts and reactions were much more entertaining than the game, which seemed to be a beat-down, as the Bruins got started early in the first period.

With three goals by the end of the second period, the Bruins looked unstoppable. They also seemed to be getting under the skin of Carolina with each play. Carolina players began throwing what would be "flagrant" fouls in basketball and were then placed in the penalty box allowing for even more brutality performed by the Bruins. By the third period, the Carolina players were so annoyed that one of their own threw a punch causing him to be fined by the NHL. The Hurricanes President and General Manager Jim Rutherford, as he stated in an interview on NHL.com that the punch was a long time coming as the Bruins have been throwing punches all week.

Five games into the series: Bruins 2. Carolina 3. 

As Boston fans cheered over the Bruins win last night, the cheers became mixed with other cheers: cheers for the Celtics, as the Celtics defeated Orlando 95-94 on Orlando's home court.

Happy days in Boston as their teams strive toward championships. 

Can the Bruins hold off Carolina for two more games?
And can the Celtics continue through the playoffs--even after their tiring series with the Chicago Bulls?

No comments:

Post a Comment