Sunday, June 7, 2009

In the conference room.....

There are days where you wake up and go to work thinking, "What great thing could happen to me at work today?"

The answer earlier tonight, for me, was having the opportunity to go down to Fenway for the pregame press conference with Manager Terry Francona.

There has been never a great--or more intimidating--opportunity in my life. Just this past week, for the first time, I saw a press conference room. That conference room was at ATT Ballpark where the San Francisco Giants play. I saw that conference room during a stadium tour. Tonight, I saw the Boston Red Sox press conference room, at Fenway, when the spotlight was on.

Francona fielded questions from a number of reporters including ones from Fox7, the Globe, and NESN. 

Oh, and one from a WBZ intern as well.

Unfortunately, much like the first time I ever pitched in a softball game (when I was 10), I choked a little bit. My words were a little rushed together, and the name of the player I was asking about was a little muffled. Nothing like nerves. 

I became live bait, and Francona ate me alive, but it's okay because prior to responding to me, he ate another reporter alive who decided to keep attacking the issue of Julio Lugo, one of the two shortstops for the Red Sox. 

In my mind, I kept standing up for everything Francona was saying. Francona told the guy that he won't ever talk about a player and his place with the public because the media can change what they say each week. Francona said that he doesn't have that opportunity. Where as the media can go on the air in a week and just say "Well we were wrong," a coach cannot take back what he says. And for that I give Francona a great deal of respect. Some coaches will go out there and put their players under a bus, but he respects his team, as they respect him, it appears.

Of course the reporter continues to get at him, and Francona seemed a little angered--so I should have known better than to open my mouth. 

But that's okay because it is all in the experience, and tomorrow's another shot. 

Oh and after choking in my first ever softball pitching experience, I led my team to a 10-0 victory the second time around.

--I think that's good news for the next time I have an opportunity to sit in on a press conference.


No comments:

Post a Comment