Monday, June 22, 2009

Do the Japanese players in the MLB get lonely?

This past week most Red Sox fans were concerned with the outing that Dice-K had on Friday night. Simply put, it was terrible. If you missed it, be glad you didn't see it, and if you saw it, I was scratching my head too. Here is a guy who pitched fantastically in the World Baseball Classic, but then comes back to the Sox and can barely muster up any strike-outs. 

Francona puts him on the disabled list, and then everything seems okay.

But a couple weeks later Dice-K has fallen again, and no one can give an answer why.

Wait--one person can.

His translator.

Maybe I am too concerned with the wrong things when I watch baseball sometimes, or maybe I just pick out details. 

Does anyone else think that maybe the guy is ready to go to Japan? It must be hard to play on an American team and not be able to communicate with your own teammates or manager without a translator.

When I traveled to Italy and attempted to play field hockey there, I had a really hard time. A lot of the practices turned into two hour runs for me, rather than 2 hour games of field hockey. Baseball is slightly different as it doesn't require talking each second of the game, but it still requires communication with your team on and off the field. The only person I felt a real bond with playing field hockey over in Italy was the one girl from Spain who could speak English with me. Other than that, I had no one. Who does Dice-K have ? Is he getting lonely? How do he guys deal with not being able to communicate? Does it hurt him and the team? 

You got to wonder what is going on inside his head when he wants to crack a joke with the guys...and he just simply can't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment