Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pick a team, any team.

For nine out of twelve months, I live in New England--that puts me in Red Sox Nation territory.

For the other three months, I live an hour north of Philly. By default that should make me a Phillies fan.

I guess it makes sense to me, that because I live in both places, I average out a team somewhere in the middle: The New York Yankees.


:::waits for the boos::::

The New York Yankees have been my favorite team since Wade Boggs graced third base for them. My brother was the one who pointed Boggs out to me when I was younger. I haven't looked away from the Yankees since, except when I enjoyed Bogg's run on the Rays for a bit of time--so for a little while you could call me a Rays fan. 

And before all that: I was a Cubs fan and a Braves fan, because at one point in time my little league teams were called the Cubs and the Braves.

This past year I even rooted for the LA Dodgers a bit. As Joe Torre moved, so did a little bit of my heart.

And at the beginning of the season, after news broke about the rookie pitcher who had been in a car accident, I couldn't help but root for the Angels.

The point here is that while I am a Yankees fan at heart, I believe that it is okay to like other teams.

:::Waits for more boos:::

I love the Philadelphia Phillies, because every time I walk into that stadium I witness a great game.
I enjoy the Boston Red Sox because they have something very important to me: my wedding venue. The only witness that I need at my wedding is the Green Monster.
I like the Atlanta Braves because Chipper Jones has always been a respectable player.
I like the Baltimore Orioles, because at one point Cal Ripken Jr. was a premier ballplayer--steroid free, and nothing but respectful out on the field.


I think that it is way too hard to claim a team, at this point, for many reasons. 
1. Players get traded all the time. How can I just stop liking a player once he is traded, especially if I followed him through the farm league, through the minors, and right onto the field. (Chase Utley).
2. A team isn't just the players on that field, a team is an atmosphere. It is an atmosphere created by the fans, the coaches, and the announcers. If the atmosphere is great, I can't help but falling for the team.
3. I have respect for any ballplayer who makes it in the big leagues (the right way), and can take the heat from the media and still perform to his top ability.
4. Fantasy Baseball is my defense. I have never played Fantasy Baseball, but for all those people who do and who nag me that I can't like the Yankees...and the Phillies...and the Dodgers: Isn't that essentially what you are doing, picking your favorite players--the best players--who are from a variety of teams? 


I think that I will stop saying I am a Yankees fan. And just start saying that I am a players fan.








And no it isn't because of the sweep this past weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment